HOME

 
  LINKS
  History
  California Emigration
  Bleeding Kansas
  The Project
  Photo Album
  COMING SOON!
  SECTION
  Early Families
  Town Map
   
   


Map of Wassonville, Iowa

The town as laid out and platted in 1848, and showing the Watters Addition.

 


Settled in 1840, the town was formally surveyed and platted by Marcus Hull in 1848.  The post office was opened in 1849.   In its glory days, between 1845 - '60, Wassonville had a population between 300 - 600 people.  Wassonville sat at the intersection of two major early trails in Eastern Iowa.  In 1850, the Washington House advertised in local papers that it was "open for the accommodation of the traveling public."  J. R. King was the proprietor. 


If you have information to share about Wassonville, please contact us!

 

Feed Sack from Wassonville Mills

The old Wassonville Mill on the south side of the English River, the second mill that was constructed at Wassonville, Iowa.  This grist mill never had an external water wheel, but was built with a "mill race."  A steam plant was later added to turn the mill when the river was too low for grinding.  This mill was built in 1847 by Joseph Wasson and James Watters.   The first mill was built on the north bank of the river in 1841 and burned down in 1849, replaced by a saw mill.

CONTACT US!

HOME